My creative side is always yearning for a new project. So, one beautiful fall afternoon I dragged and antique oak music cabinet into the back yard and began sanding the old, dated finish. Because the size of the cabinet was so manageable, it did not take long before it was all sanded and smooth. Always sand following the grain on the wood.
Next, I cleaned off all of the dust and primed the cabinet with a good quality acrylic primer.
I let the primer dry over night, and then lightly sanded it with a fine sandpaper.
Next, I cleaned the cabinet well to remove any trace of sawdust and painted it with a Benjamin Moore shade of paint AF-155 Weimaraner. I used their top quality “Aura” paint for durability in a satin finish. Note: Apply paint as well as primer following the direction of the grain of the wood.
I had a magazine photo of a cabinet that I liked, which had a warm rustic finish. I used this as my inspiration for selecting the paint color and how I wanted the finished product to look. I emphasize that it is important to visualize the desired outcome so that you are working from a plan.
I let the Weimaraner top coat dry thoroughly for 2 days, and then had some fun creating the rustic look.
I sanded off the edges using both my electric sander and hand sanding. I played with this look until I was satisfied and that the cabinet looked “naturally” aged.
Again, I thoroughly cleaned off any sanding dust before adding the final touch!
I used a Bri wax in dark brown, for a furniture finish that would make this piece look professionally refinished. The Bri wax is really great because it not only deepens the color, which adds another dimension of layering, but it creates a smooth waxed fruniture finish that protects the piece.
Follow the directions on the Bri wax insert. I lightly applied the wax to the piece, let it sit for a short time, and then buffed it a soft shine. Because I wanted to deepen the color, I applied a second coat of Bri wax a day later, and followed the same pattern of buffing to a deeper wax finish.
The whole project took about 5 hours and less than $45.00 for all supplies. View the end result:
Creative re-purposing by http://www.pbid-interiordesign.com
Read Full Post »